Varsity Head Coach: Danny Horne Assistant Coaches: Greg Larsen, Jake DeVries, Garrett Issacson, Decatur Huntsman
Coach Danny Horne firstname.lastname@example.org 801-610-8780 ext. 217
This webpage includes important information about our 2020 fall season. I've spent the last couple months getting our fall uniforms designed, fields reserved, and trying to schedule games with other teams. Due to the concerns relating to Covid, many teams are still not sure what they will be doing in regards to Fall. In speaking with many programs, they are only planning to do 4 weeks in Fall and do 2 scrimmages at the end of their fall season. My plan is to maximize Fall as best we can to develop our skills, speed, and strength as best we can for 8 weeks. In terms of any scrimmages/games, I will not know details on any of those until September. I will continue to follow up with the other teams so I can get things scheduled. At this time, I do not have any games scheduled but hope to schedule 4-6 games in Fall. Some teams may host tournaments (4 games guaranteed) and if they choose to do that we will participate and get many of our games in that way. I will keep you posted.
I am running Fall Ball as a club team. Doing so allows for boys from Eagle Mountain and Lehi to participate with us if so desired without having to walk the halls at Westlake. Fall is a PERFECT TIME for newcomers to the game to come out and try the sport out and develop their skills. It's also an excellent time for experienced players to come out and get themselves Varsity-ready for Spring and to continually develop in the sport.
WHY PLAY FALL??
Fall is a PERFECT TIME for newcomers to the game to come out and try the sport out and develop their skills in this game. It's also an excellent time for experienced players to come out and get themselves Varsity-ready for Spring and to continually develop in the sport. Boys who play and participate in Fall are better prepared going into Spring as we focus on fundamentals, passing, catching, groundballs, faceoffs, defense, positioning, footwork, offensive sets, shooting, conditioning and strength. As coaches, it allows us to improve and develop every boy in the sport, too. We are not as concerned with winning games in Fall as we will be in Spring as we are simply trying to help every boy improve their skill sets and be better prepared in Spring.
We are excited to announce that Utah Speed Academy will be joining us EVERY WEDNESDAY during Fall Ball and helping train boys proper footwork techniques and help improve their explosiveness and speed with lacrosse specific drills. Nate Soelberg has been doing this with us for the last 4 years and his knowledge, expertise and training is well worth it!
We will start Tuesday, September 8th and end on Thursday, October 29th. We will practice every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday @ Lake Mountain Middle School. Field practices will be from 5:00PM - 6:30PM, unless otherwise stated. Boys should be there 15 minutes early every day for practice and ready (padded up and tossing the ball) by 5PM. See below for the dates, times and location. PLEASE NOTE: These are LIKELY TO CHANGE pending when I can get games scheduled. I will update you immediately once those get scheduled. Locations may also change as we will often combine with other teams for combined training and a friendly scrimmage to end the practice. Last year we did combined practices with Corner Canyon, American Fork and Pleasant Grove, and each of those were extremely positive experiences and invaluable to our program. Right now AF would like to do it again as it was mutually beneficial to both programs. I will communicate out if other teams can/wish to combine.
GAMES AS OF AUGUST 25, 2020
1. Uphold our THUNDER values: Tenacity, Honor, Unity, Nice, Discipline, Excellence, Respect. These are the backbone of everything we teach, promote and exemplify on and off the field in the THUNDER LACROSSE program. In line with those, boys are encouraged to memorize the THUNDER CREED at the bottom as it captures everything we teach, promote and strive for in this program.
2. Be present. Boys need to be early to every practice and game we have and be in the moment when we practice. They are expected to be engaged and striving for excellence on every rep. All players and coaches are expected to adopt a growth mindset and constantly seek for improvement.
3. GroupMe Communications. Boys and parents are strongly encouraged to download the GroupMe app. There is a parent chat that all parents are encouraged to be in for important information. Contact Melanie Boren (801-420-2661) or Carma Gray (801-471-8321) to get added to that group. All boys need to message Coach DeVries (801-960-7246) or Coach Issacson (801-874-9517) to be added to the player chat for FALL 2020. It is here where boys will receive important information for Fall as well as film for plays, drills, motivation, Coach Talks and so on. We like having the two separate chats so that players are able to communicate openly with one another and build a team culture together.
4. Come prepared. Boys need to have all of their lacrosse equipment when they come to practice. They are responsible in Fall to provide their own helmet, gloves, shoulder pads, elbow pads, stick and any other necessary protective equipment. Due to Covid, they are also required to have their own water bottles. As we are able, we will provide some Powerades for boys, but boys should always have water on hand for every practice. They will be provided with a reversible penny and shorts to be worn to practice and any games and those must be returned at the end of Fall Ball as they are the property of the club team and will be used in future years. They CAN be purchased at the end of the fall season if desired. They are expected to be returned cleaned and in good condition.
5. Take EXTREME OWNERSHIP. We don't dwell on mistakes nor do we blame others for something else. We have an "Own It, Fix It" mindset and when a mistake is made, we say "GOOD!" This is a means of staying mentally checked in and not allowing a mistake to dictate the rest of a day or season. We say "GOOD!" because we learned what not to do in a certain situation and how to improve it for next time. This is the expectation we have as coaches for each other and for every player. When a mistake is made, take ownership of it and grow from it.
FALL BALL COSTS
The fees to participate in lacrosse for the 2020 Fall season is $300 and covers the costs for uniform rentals, Speed Training, refs, insurance, fields, and supplies. Payment is due by the start of the first practice. You can bring a check that first day made payable to Warhawk LLC or Venmo to @WARHAWK-TRAINING. Boys are also REQUIRED to have a CURRENT US LACROSSE membership. Many likely already have this. The membership is good for one year. This is a requirement in order to play in Fall. Cost for the membership is $25. You can go to US Lacrosse and find out about your current membership. If you don't have a current membership, you must get it renewed with US Lacrosse. Their website is www.uslacrosse.org If boys desire to rent equipment from Westlake, that is an option. Contact us directly if that is something you wish to do.
A Creed is defined as a set of defining beliefs. In our program, we are guided by our THUNDER values and a set of beliefs outlined below. We will refer back to the creed often as we progress each practice and game.
Q & A
What precautions are being taken by coaches and players for COVID?
We will be following the Utah County Health Department's guidelines for outdoor sports and competitions. Consistent with the expectations outlined by ASD, players will be asked the following upon arrival to every practice and game:
*Do you have any of the following symptoms: fever 100.4 or greater, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell?
If a player answers yes, they will not be permitted to participate until a negative test for Covid has been issued or they have been cleared to play/participate by a doctor. The guidelines are changing often and we will remain up-to-date on the changes provided by UCHD. Click the button below for the link outlining the precautions UCHD has asked us to take.
Coaches will have masks and are encouraged to wear them when social distancing is not possible. Consistent with what has been asked of us, players will be asked and encouraged to do the following:
*Utilize only their equipment. *Have their own water bottles. No sharing of water bottles will be permitted nor will the team provide any team water bottles. *No fist bumps or handshakes. Gloves will remain on the entire time. *Social distancing will be encouraged throughout practices and players will be asked to space their bags out and be encouraged to social distance during water breaks, before practice and after practice. *Hand sanitizer will be available at each practice and game as well as other disinfectant spray.
What is the cost to participate in and play in Fall Ball?
As outlined above, the costs for Fall Ball is $300. This cost covers the equipment needed for Fall, field rentals, equipment rental, refs, painting of fields and Utah Speed Clinic. See above for how to pay. Also note that every player MUST have a US Lacrosse membership ($25) to play. The membership is good for a year and allows boys to participate in Fall, Winter league (hosted by Westminster) and any Summer games we want to play. Click the button below to access the US Lacrosse website and to get registered.
We are brand new to the sport. What equipment do we need to get? And where can we rent equipment?
Welcome to the greatest sport there is and the oldest, truest American sport there is! The game of lacrosse requires boys to have the following protective equipment:
*Helmet (Cascade S) *Gloves *Elbow Pads *Shoulder Pads *Cleats *A cup (not required, but encouraged) *Mouthguard *A stick
You can rent equipment from Storm Lacrosse in American Fork OR at Tribal West Lacrosse in Sandy. Click the links below to access their websites and contact information. Renting is a great way to go and both stores will outfit your son perfectly for what is needed.
How many games will be played and when will they be?
We are still in the process of coordinating a game schedule. Many programs have not announced yet what their plans are for Fall and those that have are unsure when they will play games. While many programs are scheduling 2-4 games, we are hopeful to scheduled 4-6 games in Fall. Players and parents will be updated immediately once those games are scheduled.
When will the Utah Speed Clinics be?
For the last 3 years, I have invited Utah Speed Clinic to come work with the team to improve their speed, agility, strength and footwork. It has been invaluable for boys to get trained by them! We will have EIGHT (8) of these elite training sessions in Fall every WEDNESDAY (see calendar above) from 4-5.